Saturday, March 12, 2011

Empathizing with Chicken Nuggets

for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his.
Hebrews 4:10

I LOVE grocery shopping! I love admiring beautiful produce, talking to baggers and produce managers, looking at beautiful cakes in the bakery (yes, even though I can't eat most of them) the empowering savings (and lack of wasteful packaging) from the bulk bins, the rush of watching my totals decrease as the checker scans my coupons ... it's all so wonderful! However, I greatly dislike shopping alone. Let me rephrase that-- I dislike shopping without the company of adults! One of my favorite shopping companions is my best pal Jillian. Like a lot of busy moms, we do most of our shopping dates via cell phone. We always have obscure and enjoyable conversations; today was no exception! :)

As I pushed my cart through the gluten-free section of Fred Meyer, Jillian and I were chatting about chicken nuggets and how our kiddos loved them. I told her about a successful recipe that even pleased Wyatt, who is extremely picky about meat. while mentioning the use of ground turkey, we agreed that it worked because it was most like "mechanically separated chicken." While my bestie and I don't agree on everything (food or otherwise), we are both royally skeeved out by those words. Jillian said it so well: "They take a chicken and pull it six ways from Sunday. It's so disturbing!"

Some days I feel like a mechanically separated mommy. I'm pulled so many directions and try to get so much accomplished at once, my life often ends up in a way that isn't healthy or even a remotely "natural" existence. I know my Father wants me to bless my family and friends, but He also wants me to rest in Him. That means accepting sometimes that yes, this IS all I'm going to get done today. I am going to bed! It means giving him my worries that tumble through my noggin when I should be counting sheep. It means taking a break from researching how to make cheese from almonds and just cuddling with my kids. It means taking a break from activities that are "good," but might be taking over my life in a way that isn't good for me. It means taking the time to stop, listen to His voice, read His Word and just bask in His presence. *sigh* I feel less like a jumbled, fried patty just typing that. :)

I'm going to close today with the recipe I made yesterday. I hope you are able to enjoy them- and not RESEMBLE them in your daily life! ;)

In Lenten Love and Friendship,

Amy

Gluten-Free Nameless Nuggets (Sorry Y'all, I'm tired. I'll name them later. :) )

1 lb ground chicken, turkey or whatever makes you happy
3 C rice chex crushed to breadcrumb-size (or bread crumbs)
1/4 C tapioca Starch (cornstarch or arrowroot works too)
1T kosher salt
1T paprika
1T parsley
1 t oregano
ground pepper (to taste)
1 egg (or egg replacer), beaten with 2T water
3-4T cooking oil of your choice

mix together cereal crumbs, starch of your choice and spices, set aside in a bowl

Beat eggs with water, set in another bowl.

Shape 4 patties at a time, then prepare for breading, wash your little piggies and repeat until they're all ready to fry.

*Breading tip* Take patties and dip them in egg with one hand, and use the other to coat them with crumbs. Place on a baking sheet. (This helps prevent breading your fingers as well!)

Over med heat, cook for 3-5 minutes on each side in oil until golden brown and lovely. Check a larger nugget in the middle to make sure they are fully cooked. Keep warm in oven until all are finished, serve to your hungry crew on paper plates with a side dish they will eat without giving you grief and an easy fruit or veggie. Toss paper plates in the garbage (or compost, if you're cool like that), let 2 bowls and pan soak in the sink for a while and enjoy your family!

1 comment: