Friday, April 22, 2011

A Life-Changing Choice (Good Friday)

... Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.
John 19:30b


This is the day when we remember why Jesus came. He did not come merely to be worshiped, to perform miracles or to be a great teacher. This day was not a surprise to Him; for this plan had been in motion since the beginning of time. With His blameless sacrifice, Jesus closed a chapter that began with Adam's fall. The Holy Lamb of God chose to offer up His life as our sacrifice. He knew some would reject His gift, but He carried their sins anyway. The ripple effect of His act of immesurable love can be felt over two thousand years later. One choice changed everything!

I know that many of you are aware of how our family changed on Good Friday seven years ago. For those of you who are not, I encourage you to read the story of a beautiful young woman who made a choice that tragically ended her life. That beautiful girl was my niece, Heidi. You can read about it Here:
http://www.heidispromise.org/#!heidi's-story

That day could have destroyed our family. It was a senseless, unexpected and avoidable death. I have no doubt that without our hope in a Savior who has conquered sin and death, my brother-in-law could never find the strength to tell Heidi's story to so many young people. I would have no hope of seeing her again. I could never have moved past the despair, anger and emptiness I felt. But the same God who rescued me by the blood of His Son healed my broken heart.

Jesus, You alone know the number of times I have deleted and re-typed the paragraphs of this post. I cannot find the words to express what Your sacrifice at Calvary has meant to me. Thank You for Dying for me, that I might be forgiven. Thank You for Rising again, that I might have hope! Help me to see that words aren't always what we need to see the depth of Your love for us ... we need only look at the cross.

In Grateful Rememberance,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment