Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Return of Ida

Do everything without grumbling or arguing, 15 so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.”[a] Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky ...
Phil 2:14-15


There is an un-wanted guest in our household; her name is Ida. Ida Wanna, that is. She always seems to show up when my to-do list is long, my patience is short and my sleep was less-than stellar. Into the household she creeps, pulling me to the couch, the refrigerator or my computer-- anywhere I can hide from what I should be doing. She does her best to convince me that any and all tasks are too hard, will take too long or are simply a waste of time. Oh, how I suffer when I listen to her! I end up forcing myself into hyper-drive to barely get my tasks done-- often at the expense of sleep, time with my kids and the potential of a good mood. Why do I ever let her in my front door?

Ida's main influence (procrastination) is a problem in itself, but occasionally, she brings a friend along. Nothing sabotages my day like a visit from the life-draining duo of Ida Wanna and Dewey Hafta! Once I finally put myself to work, I do so with a sour attitude. Today, I'm afraid, I've been visiting with both of them all morning. Somehow, they can make any activity seem like a hardship. With deep, Sicilian sighs, I plodded about the house, pouring gallons of "whine" everywhere I went. Oh, how I suffer, cleaning this (spacious, warm) house! I practically do everything myself, it's the only way I'll get it done (to my liking)!It's so exhausting getting all these clothes folded and packed up (to go on vacation)! Oh poor, poor, pitiful me! Where is my violin?

I can see the ridiculous lack of gratitude once it's typed out, but I must admit, I felt so bad for me earlier, I scarcely stopped short of sending myself a card! There are times when I forget that work, even when one is not monetarily paid, is a privilege. I am certain that people who have lost their homes in natural disasters would not see it as "beneath them" to vacuum up dog hair. I know there are childless couples who wouldn't mind cleaning bubble gum flavored toothpaste out of a sink. Instead, they are on waiting lists to adopt a child. Every scraping of the chicken coop should remind me of how blessed I am to live out here and have fresh eggs to feed my family. If Paul and Silas can sing in prison, I should probably be able to scrub toilets without lamenting!

Phil. 2:14 is a verse I commonly quote to my kids; proof that Biblical truths aren't something you ever outgrow! Thanks be to God, it's never too late to turn a rotten day around! Now that my mind is headed in the right direction, it's time to turn off the computer, crank up some good music, grab a latte and get a move on! Beware the influence of Ida and Dewey, lest you throw an embarrassing pity party of your own! ;)

In Lenten Love and Friendship,
Amy

1 comment:

  1. Very insightful, Amy! I like the way you indicate the blessings when listing the complaint around them. Puts things into perspective!

    ReplyDelete